Re: Expat Support

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:55:16 -0800
Keith Packard <keithp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 09:32 -0500, Matt Cupp wrote:
>

> > So does anyone know if Expat is still supported?  Or know how hard it
> > would be to reenable it?  Or have any other suggestions as to what I
> > could do?  My ultimate goal would be to port Cairo to the Wii with
> > FreeType support (hence requiring FontConfig).
>
> No, expat isn't supported. I originally thought it would be fairly easy
> to switch between libxml and expat, and was encouraged to use libxml
> because many other applications were using that, and having two xml
> parsing libraries in core at once doesn't make a lot of sense.
>
> It would be great if you wanted to try and figure out how to make expat
> work again; fontconfig doesn't have any complicated demands on an XML
> parser.

Hello.

  Is this still true?  The other distros I've looked at (Fedora, Debian,
SuSE) link against expat and I have no problem building and using
fontconfig on a system without libxml2 installed.  If libxml2 is the
preferred XML library why is it described as a fallback in the configure
message and why aren't other distros using it?

Thanks,

--
fonts, toolchain,                  Character is what you are in the dark.
gcc-porting,