Re: Various patches for fontconfig

Diego Santa Cruz wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi Deigo,

> Please find attached the fontconfig patches that we are currently using
> to fix various issues. Feel free to merge these patches upstream.

I've committed all but the last two.

> - fontconfig-2.6.0-cache-insert.patch
> 	when a cache is rebuilt and inserted into the linked list of
> caches the stat data should be brought up to date once the cache is
> written to disk, otherwise the next time the cache is verified it will
> be reloaded even if the in memory version matches the on disk cache.

Wouldn't we be better off freeing the cache we have and loading it from disk?
 That way we can mmap it.  Right?

> - fontconfig-2.6.0-Win32-atomic-replace.patch
> 	under Windows an mmap'ed file cannot be removed so
> FcAtomicReplaceOrig() fails if the old cache is larger than
> FC_CACHE_MIN_MMAP and is still open (either by the same or other app);
> this patch workarounds this issue by renaming the old cache file if the
> unlink fails. Note that with this patch fontconfig may leave .OLD cache
> files around, but I do not have a better idea on how to overcome this.

This should be fine.  What if the OLD file is still in use?  Then we still
fail.  How about trying OLD, OLD2, OLD3?  OLD files will still be use if
there's an application mapping them still.  For example, even with your patch,
the second time you install fonts, it may fail.

behdad