Re: thread problem with fontconfig

Christian Krause wrote:
Hi,

Recently I found a problem with evince and a special pdf file ([1]).
The backtrace (see below, [2]) indicates that 2 threads call at the
same time functions of the fontconfig library when the crash occurs.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is fontconfig thread-safe? Is there something special where
developers of multi-threaded applications must take care of?

2. Please can you have a look at the backtrace and give me a hint
where I can start looking for the problem?

fontconfig is not thread-safe. One way to fix this problem would be to have a lock which surrounds all calls to fontconfig.

I can't actually see in the trace what might be causing the crash. But I'm sure that arbitrary things can happen when you call fontconfig from multiple threads.

pat