Re: F17 vs. Pentium 4

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:25:46 -0500,
  Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has F17 been tested to see whether it will install on a Pentium 4?
Recently I installed F15 because I could not get the F16 installer to boot.
I can get the F13, F14 and F15 installers to boot without media.
The F16 installer was a no go, both without media and with a minimal CD.
In both cases, I got crashes that required pushing the reset button.
I never got to tell them about the iso file.

I have done live installs to a pentium M which should be a wimpier
processor. With P4s being dogs, I would expect P3 systems to work
OK as well.

Currently there is a check for 768 MiB of ram. This limit is too conservative
now that some changes have been made to the install process. I just did
a test install this morning on a machine with 512 MiB of ram and it
worked just fine. I used the --no-memcheck option on liveinst. I am not
sure where to put that option when using an install image instead of
a live image.