Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FPC Meeting (2014-04-17 16:00 - 17:15 UTC)

On 04/17/2014 05:17 PM, James Antill wrote:
* #412     Please change the packaging guidelines to include packaging
   policy regarding systemd timer units  (geppetto, 16:20:09)
   * LINK:https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Notting/timer  ?  (tibbs|w,
     16:38:11)
   * systemd timer guidlines wording change to use MUST (+1:6, 0:0, -1:0)
     (geppetto, 16:49:46)

"Packages MUST not depend on both cron and systemd." is equivalent to should which invalidates what Bill was conveying.

FPC seems to be under the assumption that it is fine to introduce a new package or a sub package and have that sub package depend on systemd when neither that nor the original package contained systemd units or otherwise has or had an existing hard dependency on systemd.

So basically you have introduce an dependency on systemd where there should be none which at that point you could just as well migrate everything from cron to systemd unit which requires a completely different implementation ( thus completely differently constructed section in the guidelines ) and is absolutely not the intention of my cron to timer proposal since cron is not 1 to 1 replacement for systemd.

I thought I had been very clear on this but apparently that message is not getting through hence I give up and have now formerly retracted this feature.

Do what you want migrating timer units since you are apparently are the expert in how this should be done and implemented in the distribution.

JBG