Re: scl_prefix vs _scl_prefix

Le 04/11/2013 17:31, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> Here's a relatively [ ;-) ] non-controversial change needed to the
> draft. Right now we have both _scl_prefix and scl_prefix macros.
> We need to rename one of those.  Names that differ only in
> punctuation are confusing.  It looks like _scl_prefix is used less
> in the draft.  So that's probably the candidate to rename.  Perhaps
> something like %{_scldir} to be similar to %{_libdir},
> %{_sysconfdir}, etc?

I agree scl_prefix and _scl_prefix confusing (even if looking in all
my spec files, I only found 1 use of _scl_prefix, and for a tricky
reason).

Despite, we also need to make explicitly where its value come from.

Currently it come from scl-utils-build and defined as /opt/rh

I really think it should be defined in scl-foo-build and inherited for
all the packages of the collection.

Explanation: if I want to build extension for different collections
from different vendor, I can't rely on default value.

When building another depedent SCL, I also need to know 2 prefix
(prefix for my collection, and prefix for the used collection).

When building a SCL package using another collection, I will have
installed (BR) -build for my collection and only -runtime for the used
collection.

So
	in scl-foo-runtime => %_foo_scl_prefix
	in scl-foo-build   => %_scl_prefix

Notice: this is already used for other macros
	in python27-runtime => %_python27_python
	in python27-build   => %_python

Then, this is for a single tree.

If we choose to split the tree in /etc, /var/, /usr, ... we also need
a new set of macro for each dir.

Instead of relying on %{_scl_root}%{_root_sysconfigdir}

	in scl-foo-runtime => %_foo_sysconfigdir
	in scl-foo-build   => %_sysconfigdir

So a dependent collection will be able to known where are stored
	system config files        %_root_sysconfigdir
	collection config files    %_sysconfigdir
	dependent scl config files %_foo_sysconfigdir

Yes, this is really a nightmare.

So my final thoughts (trying to be pragmatic)

- - we should use a single self contained tree

- - we should use /opt

- - we should use /opt/rh

I don't know what RH means, perhaps "Rush Hours", "Rich Hive", "Really
Happy", "Relocated Home" or something else.

Sorry to be very pessimist, but using any other value, will just make
all the things much more complex, and probably unusable.

The upstream SCL project have made some choices. Those are perhaps not
the best, and we can discuss during hours, I think we very probably
never get somewhere. So, just follow upstream.

Regards,
Remi.

P.S. If I want to sell cars, I can dislike the wheel position, and
discuss it should be left or right, even for good reason, I can't
change it easily.