Re: Moving configuration files in a package...

On 09/25/2013 06:56 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
For one package I maintain (qpid-cpp-server) the upstream team moved the
location of the configuration file from /etc to /etc/qpid, where the
other configuration files lived.

I pushed the latest update and am now getting hit with negative karma
and a BZ complaining about this change.

What is SOP for when a project moves configurations? I had resisted the
suggestion of having the spec move the configuration. Talking with other
packagers they agreed. But simply replying to a BZ with "the file's
moved, just copy yours over" and closing the BZ feels a bit aloof.

Suggestions?
Add a postinstall script which copies the old config from its previous location to the new one and maybe also a symlink from the new to the old location to the new one. Exercise care with both commands so as to not overwrite existing files. I would also add a README pointing out the change. Not that people actually read but still...