Re: Should .so files under python site dir be 755 perms?

Michael Schwendt wrote, at 09/10/2013 07:13 PM +9:00:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:01:09 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:

Hi,

I have a python-pygit2 review, in this review the reviewer asked me to
change the perms of the .so files from 755 to 644. In fact I've done
this for many other packages, but I want to ask if this is really
needed?

No, the reviewer is mistaken. It would be a packaging bug, and you will
need to fix your "many other packages", too.

  1) The shared libs don't get stripped, if they are not executable.
  2) The -debuginfo package generation doesn't work either, if the libs
     are not executable.

Well, I am so long wondering about this. Actually creating debuginfo,
stripping shared libs and making the shared libs non executable can
be accomplished by using %attr, i.e.
- At %install, install the shared libs with 0755 as before
- On %files, explicitly mark the files with %attr(0644,root,root)

Some other distros makes non-executable shared libs 0644 permission.
Is %attr approach for this case allowed / preferable / discouraged ?

Regards,
Mamoru