fedora-usermgmt

Hello,

I'm currently committing on bacula and I've stepped into a few
problems with fedora-usermgmt.
I think the process is a bit convoluted. It is not even in the
guidelines for packaging, so I'm guessing if I can be removed it from
the package.

According to this page, the yellow box points to another links and
states clearly is not part of the packaging guidelines.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserCreation

- Packages for RHEL 4/5/6 get a dependency on the EPEL repository,
which many users would like to avoid on production systems.
- Building the package gets a dependency on the EPEL repository for
the fedora-usermgmt-devel package even if it is not used at
installation time; so again the package cannot be built on RHEL
without the EPEL repository.
- "%bcond_without fedora", as suggested by the pages, does not work
with RHEL 4, as the directive is invalid.
- Koji does not accept "--without" arguments even for scratch builds,
so I cannot pass the argument as suggested by the page.
- Even if building only for RHEL 5+ I cannot build the same package on
Koji but need to upload a different package for RHEL.

I also tried setting statically a lot %if / %else and distro tags to
get a static with/without_fedora inside the spec file but I didn't
make any success with it.

After a day of frustration I looked at other packages spec files that
define uid/gid <100, and I saw that many of them don't use
fedora-usermgmt at all (i.e. NetworkManager-openconnect):

fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserRegistry

Basically I will remove all of this stuff:

%if 0%{?fedora} > 0
%define with_fedora 1
%else
%define without_fedora 1
%endif

(or the non-working "%bcond_without fedora")

%global uid             33
%global username        bacula

BuildRequires: fedora-usermgmt-devel
%{?FE_USERADD_REQ}

%pre common
%__fe_groupadd %uid -r %username &>/dev/null || :
%__fe_useradd  %uid -r -s /sbin/nologin -d /var/spool/bacula -M \
    -c 'Bacula Backup System' -g %username %username &>/dev/null || :

%postun common
%__fe_userdel  %username &>/dev/null || :
%__fe_groupdel %username &>/dev/null || :

With:

Requires(pre): shadow-utils

%pre common
%{_sbindir}/groupadd -g 33 -r bacula &>/dev/null || :
%{_sbindir}/useradd -u 33 -r -s /sbin/nologin -d /var/spool/bacula -M \
    -c 'Bacula Backup System' -g bacula bacula &>/dev/null || :

%postun common
test "$1" != 0 || %{_sbindir}/userdel  bacula &>/dev/null || :
test "$1" != 0 || %{_sbindir}/groupdel bacula &>/dev/null || :

Can I simplify everything removing fedora-usermgmt as a requirement?

Thanks,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).