Re: Update for the GCJ section of Java Guidelines

AO> I thought we wrote the guidelines to make them optional.  I agree
AO> they should definitely be made optional at this point.

The use of GCJ is currently "should" which means "unless you have a good
reason not to do so".  It's always been that way, and has never been
interpreted by most reviewers as being optional.

I can draft up a change which changes the strength of the GCJ
recommendation.  However, not being familiar with Java I'm not sure if
we should now be recommending against GCJ, or if it's simply a "use it
if you want to" thing.  Akexander's message gives several reasons why we
should be telling people not to use it (or at least it seems that way to
me) and given that I'm having trouble understanding why we shouldn't
just be saying "you should (or even must) not compile with GCJ" at this
point.

 - J<