Re: Content Packaging

On 04/16/2012 01:07 AM, Christopher R. Antila wrote:

Hi:

Absolutely right. There are some obvious reasons that Fedora hasn't
developed a content-distribution system yet, but that doesn't mean we
shouldn't. If there is enough developer interest, I think a
free-culture "content store" would be very useful.

Christopher.

I agree that solving the problem of content available to users is a difficult one. There are just so many issues to consider given the wide and varied nature of where the content exists on the web, and the resources required to host it.

Some audio applications have tried to help by providing interfaces to audio resources such as freesound to pull content in directly into application. Hydrogen and ardour are examples of this (although hydrogen maintains its own set of kits online somewhere). One way to petition upstream to develop such interfaces. The Impulse Response repository Brian has mentioned is an example where an applications that us ethese files could really enrich the user experience.

However, I'd just like to point out it is permitted to package content [1] but it requires a bit of common sense. To quote from this link:

"If the content enhances the OS user experience, then the content is OK to be packaged in Fedora."

Having said that, I think there's little point in packaging audio content in /usr/share if the user is not going to be able find where it is to use it. Some applications will look in /user/share/<app> first before looking in the users home directories for patches/banks etc. This to me sounds like a good candidate for content package where this occurs.

If it is possible to package examples from the Musicians guide and have them easily locatable that could also be considered useful.

Food for thought.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Code_Vs_Content