Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Music Spin

David:

When I reply to lists in Thunderbird, I press the "reply list" button,
which is automatically placed beside the "reply" button.  It might have
been put there in my Thunderbird by some add-on... who knows.

All:

Fedora's six-month release schedules mean that, in my opinion, the
community should start planning for a "Music Spin" release with Fedora
16 - yes, 16.

The spin would logically be prepared by the Audio Creation SIG, which is
both very small and already overwhelmed.  The SIG's page is located on
the Fedora Wiki here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Audio_Creation

The first thing to decide is what a "Music Spin" means, and I'd like to
suggest that it means more than simply pre-installing music software
that's available for regular Fedora.  In that case, the SIG would be
spending a lot of time and effort on something that does little more
than save ten Fedora users ten minutes each.

Here's what I think are the "minimum requirements" for a Music Spin:
1.) jack2 running as the default sound server, with PulseAudio connected
to JACK.
2.) PlanetCCRMA's real-time kernel and associated optimizations
installed by default.
3.) An easy and obvious way to install MP3 support - like the way
openSUSE installs the Flash player automatically, but avoids
distributing it with the distribution.

These aren't easy things, and the community isn't really robust enough
to really push out a Music Spin.  Targeting a release with Fedora 16
would give just over a year to get an alpha release ready.

Maybe I'm way off-base here, and certainly I'm still very new to Fedora
and the Audio Creation SIG, but a dedicated spin seems like something
that you can't just sort of do.  We'd have to be at the level of these:
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

Christopher.