Re: Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:37:07AM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> Regarding my statements about instability in RPMfusion versions of
> Qtractor. Note that I'm one of Qtractor's biggest fans -- which is why
> I always want the latest and best version. Some of the bugs depend on
> what you're doing with it. I basically abuse the software and do
> things that it wasn't expecting to be used for, and then i can crash
> it (although I'm usually impressed with the fact that it doesn't crash
> despite the abuse I throw at it). There's been enough fixes in
> subversion that I'm getting more stability just from having the svn
> directory around, and doing "svn up" once a week, then "make" and
> "make install" ...

Considering that we're offering Qtractor because it removes complexity
for the starting artist, I'm going to suggest that using your method
to get the latest source is going to be a barrier ... if that's what
the guide recommends.

Is there a reason we can't package and maintain Qtractor for Fedora?
I'll go take a look at your SRPMs right now to see what you've got
going on, but I'm even more of a novice packager.  But I'm sure many
of us want to see it packaged (I want to use Qtractor ... from a
Fedora repository, preferably.)

If we can see that the packages will be in Fedora by/around Fedora 14,
perhaps Cristopher will write against those packages, knowing the
packages will be in the repo for the reader.

BTW, thanks for making your packages available, I'll give them a try
and let you know how it goes.  (I'd consider recommending that we
point readers at a fedorapeople.org yum repo as a workaround because
it gives us more flexibility to get them to move to the formal repo
when packages are fixed there.)

- Karsten