Re: fedora 12, Pulseaudio and Jack

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 12:03 -0800, Jeff Sandys wrote:
> In Fedora 12 with Planet CCRMA Jack Audio Connection Kit, does
> starting jack with qjackctl suspend pulseaudio?

It depends. I don't know what happens if you use the Fedora jack
package. If you have the Planet CCRMA jack package (based on jack2) the
answer is yes, starting jackd will politely ask pulseaudio to release
the card and jackd will be happy. When jackd exits the card is released
and pulseaudio grabs it again.

> If not, how can I add pulseaudio suspend (and resume) to qjackctl?

In fc11 where the interface between jackd and pulseaudio had some bugs I
ended up writing a perl script that would do the right thing. I'm
attaching it to this email for reference.

If the Fedora jack does not interface with pulseaudio you could (as
root) "mv /usr/bin/jackd /usr/bin/jackd.bin" and then install the script
as /usr/bin/jackd (don't forget to chmod it to 775). Of course this will
"break" the rpm package of jackd so if you upgrade jackd you will need
to redo the script again.

> How can I tell if pulseaudio is running, is there a terminal command
> for pulseaudio status?
>
> I have searched through the jackaudio.org, pulseaudio.org,
> qjackctl.sourceforge.net and other sites, and didn't find an obvious
> answer.
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds has some info but not about jack.

You need to install pulseaudio-utils if it is not there already (BTW,
you will need that for the script as well).

  pactl stat

will tell you stuff about pulseaudio...

-- Fernando