Re: Improve Fedora Project

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 23:42:34 +0530
Arnav Kalra <arnavkalra007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 1. Control panel. This sounds interesting. Perhaps you could contact
> > the owners of the various 'system-config' tools and see if they
> > might work on something? See also, this feature which wasn't ready
> > for f18:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemConfigCleanup
> >
> Mandriva/ROSA/Mageia have a nice control panel. Even Opensuse has
> one. We should implement this.

Yeah, provided there's developers willing to do the work I think it
sounds like a nice idea. ;)

> > 3. Multilingual support in Fedora
> >
> > This has been driven by two things: space on media is very limited.
> > If we added languages it would grow to large to easily
> > distribute. :( If we dropped cd's and looked at 1gb as a target
> > perhaps these would have space?
> >
> We can have 2 images or maybe 2 cds. I doubt people use languages
> other than english.

Its not just 2 images tho. ;)

There are currently 11 approved spins:
design-suite desktop kde lxde security soas xfce robotics
scientific-kde electronic-lab games

Each one is made for 32bit and 64 bit. Thats 22.

We have netinstall and dvd install isos. Thats 4 more.

We have multi-live and multi-install, thats 4 more.

Thats 30 images. Producing 30 more would be a pretty large burden on QA
and Release engineering. So, if we are going to make changes, we should
make them on the base images IMHO.

> I also think we should have a portal where people can request new
> programmes to be packaged for fedora.

we do have:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainers_wishlist

kevin