Re: Fedora Depot/Mart? (Re: Why is there no Fedora Project Store?)

Am Freitag, den 01.04.2011, 23:38 +0800 schrieb Harish Pillay:

> The PackageKit GUI (convenient screenshots
> here: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-screenshots.html) does not have the
> same feel as a marketplace/appstore.

Why do you think so? I don't think there is much difference: There is
applications grouped by topic and a description. Compared to an appstore
it lacks screenshots but given the size of our repodata I doubt we
should add more stuff on top.

> It does not speak to the non-techie user.

Frankly speaking I feel we have had a lot of problems recently because
we are are trying too hard to speak to non-techie issues.

> Consider:
>
> "Oh, you want an app that allows you to capture business card info?"
> "Ok, go to System->Administration->Add/Remove Software"
>
> conversation or would this:
>
> "Oh, you want an app that allows you to capture business card info?"
> "Ok, go to Fedora Mart and search for 'business card reader'"
>
> be better?

Sorry, this is not a fair comparison: You make PackageKit sound
extremely unsexy and Fedora Mart too easy. Why do you describe how to
find PackageKit but not Fedora Mart? Packagekit even has the more
descriptive name.

IMHO the correct analogy is:
"Ok, go to Add/Remove Software and search for 'business card reader'"

Not much difference, isn't it?

The only difference is the terminology, but markets and stores only make
sense if you have to *sell* something.

Regards,
Christoph