Re: [in the news] New Legal Guideline

this would also mean that tools like proxytunnel and corkscrew are bad
as they are intended to punch holes in http(s) proxies. This is
certainly not common use as they are used to circumvent proxies like
websense, etc. These tools have been part of the fedora repositories
for some time. And what about legal risks concerning the Security
spin? This can also be used in illegal ways.

My 2cents as I am also not happy with this policy.
Gerard

On 11/14/10, Jan Wildeboer <jwildebo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IMHO it is a risky decision. By limiting the field of use that governs what
> constitutes "acceptable" behaviour of Fedora, we effectively add regulations
> based on a vague feeling of "this could be somehow something that might put
> Fedora at risk".
>
> I expect a full and thorough analysis of which tools we currently ship could
> be excluded under this new doctrine. Think of nmap, wireshark etc. Tools
> that have a perfect use for debugging but can also be used for not-so-good
> things.
>
> With this decision, it will become hard to justify why some tools are OK and
> others pose a legal risk.
>
> I am not happy with this new policy.
>
> Jan

Gerard Braad â åæå