Re: Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 16:48, Bas Wijnen <wijnen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know of people who have an account set up
> like that exactly because they don't want to play games while studying.
> (So for study, they log in as the non-game account, but for leisure,
> they log in as their "normal" account.

Seriously? I always wondered if there's anybody who is using this distinction.

Personally, I have always thought that separate directories are a bad
idea. There is no /bin/X/ or /bin/networking , either. And for good
reason.

One could argue that data dirs are special. With some games having
huge data dirs and SSDs on the rise, this could make sense for some
scenarios.

Overall, I prefer Fedora's approach. Maybe it's worth bouncing this
off of debian-devel to get more input? _If_ this is changed, it should
be changed globally, preferably at the same time for a lot of packages
at once and become a release goal for next stable.

Richard