Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2007-02-08

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 12:55, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Why pick _one_ when it's trivial to evaluate the level of safety a given
> buildroot has for the Fedora build system? That extra "id" execution is
> totally useless with mock, and I simply dislike adding useless stuff.
> Any useless stuff, anywhere.
>
> %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root
>
> Is shorter than what is now _mandatory_, just as safe/unsafe with mock,
> which is what we encourage all users to use for builds anyway. And it
> saves that useless "id" execution.

Given that mock is a clean root each time, just %{_tmppath}/%{name}  is
enough.  However this rule isn't for use in mock, this rule was brought up
and contested for uses outside of mock, particularly by Ralf Corsepius.

> Which again is why I'd like to propose this for the short term, until
>
> we can rip out all BuildRoot: lines for good :
> > * Mandatory : The BuildRoot must start with
> > %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}. The preferred value is
> > %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n).
>
> I like sane "guide" lines, not arbitrary "fixed" lines that make little
> to no sense.

These are not enough to fix Ralf's issues.

> If a mktemp based buildroot which actually fixes real issues is found,
> I'll have absolutely no problem switching to that!

Ralf should be able to point out these problems which a mktemp based solution
would fix.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora