Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2007-02-08

Brian Pepple wrote :

> Packaging Committee Report
>       * FESCo didn't have any objections to the Packaging Committee's
>         guidelines regarding:
[...]
>              4. Making the suggested buildroot mandatory
[...]

What's the rationale behind this? I fail to see the purpose, since this
is something that needs to be addressed better than it is currently,
and ideally from inside rpm itself (and apparently it's being done,
thanks Bill). It's even being subject to current discussions, like
using mktemp for it...

As far as I'm concerned, any directory inside %_tmppath with a name
which is package _and_ version specific is fine. And before adding "user
specific too", I'd definitely add "arch specific" as I find it more
important, so this is a never ending and useless debate...

I'm asking because the usual "you should use this buildroot" I usually
get from people reviewing my packages has become "you must", which does
annoy me because I fail to see the point for such a change :
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/228294

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 0.62 0.64 0.66