Re: using non-standard optflags (-O3, in particular)

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 16:47 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I'm working on building calc, a math package, for Extras. Upstream says:
>
>    There is a slight performance advantage with -O3.

With what GCC version? And with what other flags? Optimization is an
incredibly finicky thing, that can wildly vary depending on the version
of GCC, and different opt flags can interact in strange ways.

Unless you can show a conclusive benchmark showing -O3 is better with
*our* GCC and all the rest of *our* opt flags, this shouldn't be allowed
IMHO.