Re: Docs Leadership: How to get there from here.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 08:29:21AM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 06:18:55PM -0500, Eric Christensen wrote:

> > I think elections are important but I also trust our current leadership
> > to make the decision.

... and ...

> > We are not a large project so I don't feel a committee is necessary.  I
> > also don't think a single person can be everything, and everywhere, all
> > the time.  A single person with "lieutenants" to help manage portions of
> > the project would be the best.  There would be a single person to point
> > to as having responsibility for the project but decisions and direction
> > could be gathered from a couple of people that can keep the momentum up.

> > I feel that the Docs Project should remain just that, a sub-project.  If
> > only by definition, I feel that SIGs are optional while projects are a
> > requirement or a need.  If only to generate the Release Notes, I feel
> > that the Docs Project is a need for Fedora.  Of course we do more than
> > the Release Notes so that bolsters my feeling that we are an essential
> > part of the Fedora Project.
> >

> > Just my two cents worth.
>
> I agree with Eric.

Why, so do I!

Of course, it goes without saying that I trust myself to make my own
decision about an accountable leader.  I appreciate the idea that
others do, too.

One idea we discussed was regular rotation sync'd to the release
schedule; a person is the "Docs Leader" for a specific Fedora
version.  Others can rotate in to and out of this role.  (Sort of like
cooking at Moosewood Restaurant.[1])  We'd know who was coming for the
next two or three releases, so they could be watching and preparing.

I'm curious if we can either reach a consensus on who should lead for
the F11 release?  I'm going to be shadowing to help, of course.  Maybe
it would be fair(er) to start rotating after F12.

Can we start naming names and discussing qualities?  Heh heh.  I *do*
want to get some people prepared who, although new contributors, have
shown a ton of potential.

- Karsten

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moosewood_Restaurant

At least once upon a time, job roles were rotated.  One week you were
a line chef, then the sous chef, the next week head chef, the next a
dishwasher, on an endless cycle.  Time to work like crazy and time to
kick-back in the steam room (dish room) and dream up your next menu
... while watching what got rejected from this week's. :)

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41