Re: [389-users] build/package scripts for debian and ubuntu

Roberto Polli wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 17:58:24 Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>> IMHO, the "official" place is either the 389 repo or the debian package
>> repo.
>>
> The official debian distribution doesn't support 389: there are some
> extensions like  EPEL repository. The 389 is in one of these named alioth. I'm
> in touch with that guy, but he has few time to maintain.
>
> Somebody forked that debian repo to create Ubuntu packages: the differences
> are in package dependencies like libc & co.
>

>> Why can't these scripts go into the debian package repo?
>>
> I'm investigating in how to create officially supported package for debian. My
> aim is to create something that would fit both on debian and ubuntu: that
> should manage dependencies and versions.
>
> So I thought that an automatic script repo should fit for all...
>

>> Are they
>> different than the scripts used to produce the official debian packages?
>>
> I don't think so. The QA procedures are different: ubuntu packages need to be
> gpg-signed by an authorized key and put on one PPA (personal repos).
>
> The debian race may be different...
>
> Today I'll publish on sourceforge Ryan scripts and start working on that...

Ok.  There is precedent for having a debian packaging subdirectory in
the upstream code.  I think Samba does this for some projects.  I'm
willing to add this to the 389 upstream repos.  This will still require
a Fedora CLA in order to contribute to the 389 upstream.  Also note that
each package has its own source repository - 389-ds-base, 389-admin,
389-adminutil, etc. etc. - each one would have a debian packaging
subdirectory which would contain scripts and makefiles to build a debian
package for just that component.  Also note that there is no source
repository for 389-ds since it is just a "meta" package in Fedora/EPEL
and may be replaced by a package group at some point.