Re: [389-users] Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

I've had very good luck running java application over the NX protocol (http://nomachine.com/). �It actually runs over SSH so it doesn't take extra firewall ports to get going. �I have used the 389 console over nx and it works great. �I actually just use the built in freenx libraries that are in EPEL instead of the nomachine ones. �You can set the nx client for remote desktop or run single apps (very similiar to citrix).

Another suggestion for those still wanting to do pure ssh is to add the '-C' option in conjuction with '-X' for compression. �There is still latency but compression does make it a bit more�bearable.

--
Aaron

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Jonathan Boulle <Jonathan.Boulle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/13/2010 02:54 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> Jonathan Boulle wrote:
>
>> Is there a suggested/common way to work around it?
>>
> Not that I know of. �Does vnc help? �Suggestions are welcome.

I'll have a think about it, it's going to move down the priority list
now though. Just from my hazy memories of RH423 I'd thought it was
reasonably easily to achieve.
>> Or do people using the Console usually just run it locally?
>>
> It is designed to be run locally. �That's why we have a standalone
> console package and a Windows console package.

Point taken. Still a bit crap that X forwarding, Swing, et al don't play
nicely together.
>> I would like to be able to have a common access point for the console (and preferably without having to install X, VNC, etc)
>>

> What you really want is a web based application, not the java console.

Basically, yes. I've found DSGW a bit limited, but will try bash it into
shape for our needs.

Thinking out loud, maybe some kind of publishing of the Java console
through a web interface as well.