Re: default local DNS caching name server

On Sat, 2014-04-12 at 13:11 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-04-12 11:01 (GMT-0400) Paul Wouters composed:
>
> > Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
> >> Maybe we should set the file to be immutable after setting it to 127.0.0.1:
>
> >> chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
>
> > That is the trick currently used by dnssec-triggerd to prevent other
> > applications from messing with that file.
>
> I've been doing that myself for years on installations that think my
> ethernet-only non-wireless LAN host connections need "managing" by
> NetworkManager, Resolvconf, Wicked or anything else that came along to
> automagically mis-configure it.

So you've gone out of your way to run a daemon but prevent it from
working as configured, instead of just reconfiguring it to do what you
need.

I have Network Manager and it is extremely simple to configure it to
keep fixed DNS Servers as well as have static addresses for ethernet
interfaces.

I find that today, except extremely rare case, all that people that
complain about network management tools interfering are people that
never tried or tried once *years* ago and never checked again.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York