Re: F21 System Wide Change: Mono 3.4

On 04/08/2014 01:44 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change:  Mono 3.4 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mono_3.4
>
> Change owner(s): Claudio Rodrigo Pereyra Diaz <elsupergomez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Update the Mono stack in Fedora from 2.10 to 3.4
>
> == Detailed Description ==
> Support for Mono versions 3.0 and 2.10 is been discontinued. No further
> development of bug fixing is planned for those branches. Mono 3.4 is the
> active branch an have many improvements . See upstream notes [1]
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: Update mono spec and build in koji until is ready.
> * Other developers:  Some packages may need to be revised, updated or rebuilt,
> see Dependencies section
> * Release engineering: None
> * Policies and guidelines: None

While I very much appreciate the effort to bring the Mono stack up to
date, I don't think these kinds of major updates work very well when one
person updates the core compiler / libraries, and leaves the rest up to
the chance.

What else is needed? Does the rest of the mono stack need rebuilds? If
yes, the person driving this should be a provenpackager and perform the
rebuilds.

Does this update drop support for older .NET profiles that apps might
rely on? If yes, then other apps need coordinated updates as well.

Has this been discussed this with chkr / spot, who have done mono
updates previously?

Also, I'd like to point out that elsupergomez is not yet a packager nor
a provenpackager and getting the latter in particular can take time. I
would suggest to reach out to chkr and spot and see if they are
interested in helping out with this and new packager guidance.

--
Kalev