Re: What will happen to XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Cinnemon in Fedora.Next

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:52:07PM +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> What will happen to XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Cinnemon in Fedora.Next ?

We had a big discussion about this last month. General consensus is that we
don't see spins going away, at least in the near future.

The Fedora products are intended to be focused more on areas of user need
rather than on a particular technology, whereas the desktop spins are by
their nature showcases of that specific software. We want to focus on
marketing the use-focused solutions, but we also need a place for the other.

> The Workstation WG, looks like a Gnome only thing, will there be at place
> of users of other DE's in Fedora.next ?

The Workstation WG has selected Gnome as the base technology for the Fedora
Workstation, but it's a mistake to say that it's a Gnome-only thing. Half of
the members of the WG aren't Gnome folks.

There has been some talk of adding alternate desktop environments to the
(Gnome-based) Software Center. That way, if the desktop spin approach isn't
satisfying for you -- or if you just came to Fedora through the Workstation
download -- it would be easy to add another DE to your running system.

There is also a proposal for a "Fedora Plasma" product based around KDE. I'm
personally a little skeptical but listening -- I think want a technology
showcase masquerading as a product would miss the point, and I'd like to be
convinced that this is more than that.

We have an open question in FESCo over whether KDE should be release
blocking (there's a ticket for today's meeting), and there's some debate
over whether it's necessary for a desktop to be represented at the product
level in order to be considered blocking. (And I think that this issue is
driving the product push to some degree.)

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>