Re: FTBFS if "-Werror=format-security" flag is used

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/06/2013 12:26 PM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>>
>> On 12/06/13 at 11:57am, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> but what is the plan if this does not work out for a unknown number
>>> of packages because upstream is not willing or able to "fix it" or
>>> only in a later release giving that the package is not buildable
>>> at all
>>

>> Contingency mechanism: Revert changes to "redhat-rpm-config" package and
>> do a mass build.
>
> This would be a very rude abuse of governmental powers.

I don't understand how a plan for what to do if the change proves
impossible or impractical is an abuse.

>> There is still plenty of time left before this flag is even enabled in
>> rawhide configuration by default.
>
> IMO, this plan has failed - period.

Can we talk numbers instead of adjectives, please?

Out of the ~400 packages (and much more cases of the warning), I have
reviewed about 10 prior to voting on this, and _all_ were incorrect
(not necessarily insecure, but incorrect).

So far I've seen precisely 3 cases (not 3 packages) where there was a
false positive (a printf format with a provably constant string).  How
prevalent is this really?

If we ended up with -Werror=... _completely eliminating_ a class of
programming bugs, now and for the future, and the cost were that ~5
packages out of >10k needed a workaround, that would be well worth it
IMHO.
    Mirek