Re: TLS libraries and licenses

On 11/27/2013 09:16 PM, Jerry James wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Jerry James wrote:
>>
>>> The third option is OpenSSL, whose license is GPL-incompatible, and so
>>> not an option for us.
>>
>> at least in fedora, openssl is considered a "system library" (for gpl
>> purposes).
>>
>> Probably a good idea to consult fedora legal list instead (you'll likely get
>> a better answer there)
>>
>> -- Rex
>
> Some of my fellow developers want to steer away from openssl because
> of its license.  That Fedora considers it okay is unlikely to change
> their minds, but I'll mention it.  Thank you!

If it was an optional dependency you have more possiblity to
use openssl from GPL, as you would only need to use it on
those systems where openssl was already available.
If you want to support systems "other systems" and have
a hard dependency on this lib, you might have issues.

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SystemLibraryException

cheers,
Pádraig.