Re: Packaing question: need some includes from kernel source

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:47:12AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > I'm looking at packaing mpt-status (get status info from LSI MPT SAS
> > RAID controllers) for Fedora and EPEL.  However, to build, it needs some
> > include files from the kernel source, specifically from the
> > drivers/message/fusion directory.  I've built an RPM using an extra
> > tarball of all the .h files under that directory (using the 3.11.7
> > kernel source), and it works (and it also works on an older kernel under
> > RHEL 6).
>
> If the headers describe a stable interface that should be used by
> userland then it's a kernel bug that they're not being exported. If they
> don't, you shouldn't use them.

I believe the headers describe what is intended to be a stable
interface.  Would that be something I should bring up on linux-kernel?

If the interface is supposed to be stable, asking upstream kernel to
change isn't going to help make a package any time soon (and likely
never for EPEL).  Is it permissible to carry the necessary headers in
the SRPM until they are no longer needed?
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>