Re: F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

* Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx> [2013-11-19 03:35]:
> Quoting Jerry James (2013-11-18 16:54:28)
> > On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
> > <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I believe OpenJDK maintainers will agree that automatically detecting if java or
> > > java-headless is supposed to be required is not really feasible. There's too
> > > many variables at play.
> >
> > Then how are we maintainers supposed to determine if our packages
> > require full java, or just java-headless?  "Needs X or audio" is too
> > vague.  Is there a list of packages and/or classes that are present in
> > full java but not in java-headless?  Or some kind of explicit set of
> > guidelines I can use to examine my packages to see which they need?
>
> You can use following Oracle article as a starting point[1]. But maybe OpenJDK
> maintainers can provide better alternative. Generally though there are *very*
> few packages in Fedora that would require full java.

Another possible resource is checking the Debian package repo -- they
have had headless/full separated for a while (maybe even from the
start?):

e.g. Azureus needs full: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/azureus and
ant needs headless: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/ant

Of course it is no guarantee that Debian is perfect -- if we find any
known issues, we can report back accordingly to help improve their set
up too.

Deepak