Re: another upgrade, another disaster

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Basically the same kind of failure as the last several times I did updates.
> This time f16->f17.  Used preupgrade.

I'd like to share with you my experience about installing Fedora
17/x86_64. It is a real PITA. No doubts about it.

* 1st attempt:
Clean upgrade of Fedora 16 from DVD. I left the PC unattended while
anaconda was upgrading RPM packages. I returned a couple of hours
later and found a kernel panic. I was too angry to take note of the
error. The system was no longer able to boot.

* 2nd attempt:
New installation of Fedora 17 from DVD. I chose to enable also the F17
remote repositories including updates - but not updates-testing. I
left my harddisk layout unchanged (obviously I didn't format my
/home). All partition were already ext4. I choose the "Software
development" option. At about 80% of installation anaconda reported
that there were an error in an RPM package and it couldn't complete
the installation. The image was correctly checked after downloading
and brasero reported that the ISO was mastered fine on DVD.

* 3rd attempt:
Same as options as the 2nd attempt but this time I chose to enable
only the F17 remote repositories and I disabled the "Install repo" so
I presume all the packages were downloaded from the net. At about 85%
of installation I got a kernel panic - this time I took care of the
message "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
0000000000000088".

* 4th attempt:
I rebooted from DVD and choose to update the current F17 system. It
was a desperate attempt. I know. The system couldn't boot.

* 5th attempt:
No remote repositories and "Graphical desktop" option. Same kernel
panic as the 3rd attempt.

I'm writing these notes from a Windows Notebook. I don't know what
else to do - apart from swearing. Any help is really appreciated.

Regards,

Andrea.