Re: *countable infinities only

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 01:57 PM, Jon Ciesla wrote:

>>> Nah, can't be iso.
>>>
>>> Has to be HDD partitions whose ro/rw state is controlled by hardware.
>> Which brings us back to the issue of how the hardware knows what to
>> trust for that ro/rw state.
>
> The hardware is under control of the user.
>
> At some point the user has to know what they consider trusted.
>
> During installation from a known good installation source: DVD, network, whatever, the user enables the install to write
> on the partition by actively pressing a hardware button that allows the write.   After the installation is finished the
> user switches it back to read-only through pressing the hardware button.
>
> The user now has a known good read-only installation to boot from.

Is there an implementation of this existing today for HDD?  Because
otherwise with existing technology, AFAIK, that limits your media
choices for root fs medium to CD/DVD-R, Floppy, Zip/Jaz disc, or some
models of USB flash drive.

Some of these would work better than others. :)

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/