Re: Private-libraries in /usr/lib* - invalid soname.

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 17:20 +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:

> Thanks again. Following this advice when packaging makes perfect sense
> to me. Still, when reviewing, my question is how hard I should push
> it. If I understand Kevin correct I shouldn't push it all (?). Is your
> position  that  private, unversioned libs in /usr/lib* is a problem,
> but not a blocker?

I may just be dumb, but I find myself not entirely sure what Alec is
asking about here - his asterisks seem ambiguous.

To be perfectly clear, are you talking about this case:

Package 'foo' provides, on i686:

/usr/lib/libfoo.so

on x86_64:

/usr/lib64/libfoo.so

which is used as a private library, not intended to be shared with other
apps

Or this case:

Package 'foo' provides, on i686:

/usr/lib/foo/libfoo.so

on x86_64:

/usr/lib64/foo/libfoo.so

which is used as a private library, not intended to be shared with other
apps

or some other case?

In my understanding, the first is not really 'kosher' for the reasons
Toshio states; the second is fine. I've always understood that
$libdir/appname is exactly where apps should put such 'private libs'.

To avoid any confusion I suggest in future referring to 'that directory
which is /usr/lib on i686 and /usr/lib64 on x86-64' as $libdir, not as
'/usr/lib*'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey