Re: Install Fedora Button for LiveCD

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/3/12 9:44 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, we can easily arrange things so that the installer does not get
>> autostarted anymore once you tick the 'No thanks, just playing'
>> checkbox.
>

> Instead of autolaunching the installer, why not autolaunch a very light
> window that has two buttons: "Install Fedora" and "Evaluate Fedora". Hell,
> could just be one button, "Install Fedora" but the window/app itself can be
> dismissed.  So basically every time you boot and log into a live CD you get
> a popup offering you the ability to install, that can be easily dismissed.
>
> Thoughts?

As someone who often uses live media but who almost never uses it to
install Fedora this would be extremely annoying compared to just
booting to the live media and having some obvious way to do an
installation if that is what the user wants to do without repeatedly
bothering those who don't.

My experience may not be ordinary, but I really think the "install
from live media" use case isn't all that common compared to other uses
of live media. I could be wrong, I certainly know people who do
install from the live media as well.

>From the options I've seen put on the table so far I would lean toward
either the original "just make it easy somehow to do it from the
desktop" or having it be an optional boot choice that is not the
default but that has an obvious label. Making it simple to do and
making it not a bother to those who don't want to install Fedora from
the live media would be a win for all use cases I think.

John