Re: So are we skipping a gnome release?

Hi all,

Is there any chance of creating a repository with this week's Gnome 3.12 beta release? I'm not a Fedora maintainer but I'd love to help in any way that I can.

Cheers,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 19:28 +0200, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> GNOME 3.12 is due to be released in March, but as I understood there
> won't be another Fedora release before August. So what's the plan? Are
> we going to skip GNOME 3.12 entirely? I would much rather if we could
> (for a lack of a better term) ignore the fedora package update
> guidelines and provide 3.12 for F20 when it's released.

Sorry for being late to this discussion. My plan so far was to go for
the stable release at the time, which would be 3.12.2 or 3.12.3. We've
done the same in f20. It works out well for Fedora, I think - we get a
fairly stable, well-translated GNOME. It works out less well for GNOME -
to some extent, we lose testing and timely exposure in one of the major
downstreams if the GNOME and Fedora schedules move too far apart. It
seems that the current f21 schedule is somewhat pessimal from that
perspective. So maybe we should indeed look at copr for providing 3.13
development releases before rawhide branches off for f22.

I'm not sure if providing 3.12 as an update for f20 is a great idea -
its not something we've done before. It will certainly eat some
resources both on development and qa. But if there are volunteers who
are willing to help out, we can discuss it. Thankfully, we don't have to
rush it - we can stage it and only push it out if it looks solid. Trying
out coprs for that staging might be interesting, if only to work out how
to do qa on copr content thats destined for mainline Fedora...

Matthias