Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 00:09:21 -0800, you wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 23:51 -0800, Dan Mashal wrote:
>>
>>> As I said before, I think the best choice is just to give the user the option.
>>
>> At that point, we don't have a product, we just have another way to
>> choose your own adventure. We *already* have that; it's called Fedora.
>> AFAICS, re-implementing choose-your-own-adventure within one of the
>> Products is a great way to spend several months achieving nothing much
>> at all.
>>
>> How would any of the stuff in the PRD actually work if you could choose
>> any desktop you liked and still be running Fedora Workstation?
>

>I think you missed my point that we really don't have "choose your own
>adventure".

There are different ways of looking at it.

One is that the choose your adventure occurs but at the distribution
level - they try Fedora, don't like GNOME 3, and move on to Mint,
Suse, etc.

Another is that the default desktop is disliked by enough people that
they go looking for the alternate downloads or change desktops after
installation is finished.

>Most of our installed base is already GNOME.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, though I don't think there is any way
of measuring it.