Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 07:51:24PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 1 February 2014 22:22, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > gummiboot really isn't suitable as a Fedora bootloader. Its inability to
> > read non-FAT filesystems is an absolute showstopper, as is its reliance
> > on LoadImage()/ExecuteImage() for starting the kernel.
>
> Hi, I'm somewhat of a UEFI newbie; could you elaborate a little why
> non-FAT is required and why LoadImage() is a bad thing?

/boot is (on basically every Fedora system deployed so far) not FAT, so
if your bootloader doesn't read any other filesystems it's not going to
be able to boot a kernel. LoadImage() is problematic because Fedora
kernels aren't signed with a key that the firmware trusts, so the
firmware will refuse to load the kernel.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx