Re: [Proposal for Vote] Approve Draft 6 of the PRD

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 07:50 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Per our governance I'm calling for an official vote on the sixth draft
> of the PRD that Christian has provided.  I've attached it again for
> reference.  WG members have one week from today to vote.  Missing
> votes after one week will be counted as abstains.

I am not a WG member, but just for the record - I rather dislike the
included links to proprietary software repositories as suggested by the
"3rd party software".

You're reading this email right now because of the introductory startup
text displayed by Emacs.  I read it in college, learned more about GNU,
and, well, here I am.

I'm not sure at a technical level the idea works that well - say Adobe
only releases Reader for x86_64 initially.  Then they later add an i686
build.  We'd have to ship an updated repository file package.  It just
feels awkward.  I guess the relevant release engineers from these
proprietary software companies could maintain the packages containing
the repo files or something.

Now I certainly think part of the freedom in Free Software is the choice
to run proprietary software.  So I don't feel it's contradictory to
spend some engineering work on making that safer.

It'd certainly be nice for those people who do choose to install
proprietary desktop apps if didn't have to give Adobe (or whoever) free
unchecked root access to one's system by allowing them to install RPMs
just to ship a desktop app.  Perhaps this is covered by "Container based
application install".

Anyways I'd hope most engineering time goes on improving the quality of
Free Software.  That's the choice I made personally.  Which speaking of:

On "Robust Upgrades", "Quality releases", and "Better upgrade/rollback
control", I have some interesting stuff in that area when we the time to
discuss implementation arrives.