Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:30:33PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> We're only going to provide a satisfactory experience for developers if
> we also provide a satisfactory experience for casual home users. I guess
> you can infer that from the target audience saying that it should be
> usable as the developer's only computer, but I worry that as currently
> phrased the expectation will be that the user is sufficiently
> technically aware that we can leave rough edges that would dissuade a
> non-technical user. The developers I work with don't fit into that
> category - they *can* fix things that break. They'll just choose not to
> and go back to an OS that lets them forget about implementation details
> when they're trying to relax.

I think this is part of the reason that developers may be the wrong target.
I don't think it's an awful target in the ideal sense, but, providing polish
to people who aren't interested in the woes of codec patents or dealing with
installing proprietary drivers on an open source OS are going to be hard to
please.

I don't think we should aim at the general user, because not only is that
nebulous, it has all of those same problems. We should be more specific, but
we should also choose a segment where those things aren't serious handicaps.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>