Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 19:55 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 05:53 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > I don't think anybody has advertised a specific process or methodology
> > that we are following, and I suggest not to get too hung up on product
> > management terminology. Throwing around acronyms is stupid, anyway. We
> > could just talk about 'defining the product'.
> In the case of the workstation working group I would think that
> similar
> same approach would be needed as I see is needed in the server working
> group since the workstation working group is also dealing with multiple
> products since we are shipping multiple desktop environments.

No, we are not defining multiple products. We are defining a single
workstation product.

It will have a default user experience that is using one desktop
environment, GNOME. We will define criteria for other desktop
environments to be installable as alternatives. Those criteria will
include things such as:

- use logind for session registration
- work with gdm as the display manager
- does not interfere with the default user experience (cf the recent
incident where installing cinnamon broke screen locking in GNOME)