Re: LISA conference, Fedora, and the sysadmin use case.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 09:56:52AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> [...]

The problem I have been having is that I have configured Xorg to
rotate my four montiors, but that configuration is ignored and/or
overridden by GNOME with GDM starts.

I finally figured out the fix:

1. Make sure the Xrandr plugin is enabled:

   gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xrandr active true

2. Use the Display Settings control panel to set things up the way I want.

3. Manually copy the file ~/.config/monitors.xml to /etc/gnome-settings-daemon/xrandr/monitors.xml

Step #3 was the unexpected and un-user-friendly step.  None of this
was documented that I could find.

I think I had originally disabled the xrandr plugin in older Fedoras
because turning off a monitor caused all hell to break loose--the
monitor positioning/rotation was scrambled and in some cases it
wouldn't come back correctly at all without restarting the X server
(maybe driver bugs here).

So, there are several problems here.  First, all the documentation out
there that says to use /etc/X11/xorg.conf to configure your
multi-monitor setup system-wide doesn't work with Gnome 3 on Fedora 19
in my experience.

Second, there is no discoverable/documented user-friendly
way to set the system-wide/GDM monitor configuration.

Third, there may be some bad interactions with the Xrandr plugin in
the face of hardware configuration changes or simply powering off/on
monitors.