Re: How do we change fonts now

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:38:23 -0600
"Jason D. Clinton" <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What we're trying to do is come up with sane defaults for plenty of good
> user interface reasons. I mean, if we give someone a Linux laptop and the
> first thing we tell them to do is go change a bunch of settings to make it
> usable, then we have failed to produce an OS which is worth giving to anyone
> but enthusiasts (have you changed the default fonts on your Nexus One, by
> the way?).

I'm all for sane defaults.  Nobody is arguing against sane defaults.  But
I spend all day staring at my screen, and I do not believe that "sane"
means "optimal for my particular use of the system."

Please make sane defaults.  But please realize that they will never work
for everybody.  If you take away the ability to change fonts, I predict
that you will lose a lot of users.  That's not sane, that's "we know
better," and it will upset people.

[Along those lines, am I ever going to regain the ability to put the
control key back where $DEITY meant it to be without having to use
xmodmap?]

[And yes, I've changed most of the settings on my N1.  Several times after
various reinstalls.  The N1 lets me do it.]

> Anyway, if you can provide some screen shots that show that the new default
> is not sane, that would be helpful.

Despite my advanced age, my visual acuity is pretty good, but my screen
space is always limited.  I can show you that the bigger fonts crowd
things out, force the creation of scrollbars where I had none before, and
generally waste space that I can use better.  But why should I have to do
that?  Why should I have to convince you that my preferences are "sane"?

> Since you're clearly a bit of a more advanced user, you may be interested in
> changing the dconf key that I referenced in the first link though `gsettings
> set org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name 'Cantarell 10'` and in the future,
> when dconf-editor stops crashing continuously, you could do the same though
> a GUI tool.

Why that's better than the font selector that we all know well is a
mystery to me.  This stuff used to Just Work.

> There's also discussion of creating a "power-users settings tool" for users
> who are disgruntled by some common defaults but

Such a tool would be a good thing.  The alternative is that quite a few of
those users are likely to go somewhere else.  Some will do so quite
loudly.  You've seen what happens when a desktop environment upsets its
users with a major update; are you really not concerned about repeating
that history?

Sorry if I sound strident.  I like GNOME, I've been using it for a long
time.  I'd hate to see things go wrong in such an unnecessary way.

Thanks,

jon