Re: Fuse Workspace Union

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 18:04 -0400, Bill Peck wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 12:35 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >> Hello there,
> >>
> >> I just received a phone call from Stef Bon, a fellow Dutchman who's been
> >> working on a Fuse technology based module to make it easier, and more
> >> transparent, to a user, to mount, navigate and use pluggable storage devices
> >> and network resources like Samba shares.
> >
> > >From a quick glance, this is something that gvfs already offers,
> > user-space filesystems and fuse integration for non-GIO applications.
>
> But its a poor implementation, the gvfs-fuse one that is.  If you have
> an app that doesn't understand the gvfs virtual filesystem (most
> don't, even the gnome apps!). Then your only bet is to use .gvfs fuse
> dir.  But its not easy to find for a normal user.  and it doesn't
> automount the volumes.  So if your photo program has
> ~/.gvfs/Server/Photos as your photo dir and you launch it without
> first mounting it via gnome then it fails or worse yet, removes the
> index for all your photos.

There are some misconceptions here that needs to be corrected

 - Cameras etc. are always automounted when plugged in.

 - Apps are *always* passed a POSIX path, never a GVfs URI so
   if you open a file/document from e.g. Nautilus things work
   just fine and the non-GIO app works.

It is true that we don't currently have a good way of automounting
devices/servers at log-in time (nor keeping bookmarks, recently used
servers etc. list) but that's on the TODO list (see e.g. the server
bookmarks bug) and to be fair, not exactly the common use case right now
(most people don't use file servers). There's a lot of user experience
stuff that needs to be figured out so that's why it's not done yet.

(Btw, FWIW, I really like how this is done in OS X by just dragging a
volume from the Finder's sidebar (or the Desktop) to the "Login Items"
table in their Accounts dialog. It's not very discoverable, though, but
I suppose that could be fixed somehow...)

     David