Re: crazy ideas for yum/pup/that_damned_applet

seth vidal (skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> So Paul ping'd me today and had an idea: what if yum had dbus knowledge
> so that when it found out about an update it could signal the applet to
> start throbbing and being annoying.

This sounds disturbingly familiar.

to what? I didn't know something else was doing this.

> useful to up2date on RHEL. So what if yum/pup/etc had a daemon that
> could, optionally, update the metadata information from the repositories
> and announce a dbus event to the system?

Basically, you'd have the python daemon that sits there and occasionally
looks for updates. (You could also kick it over dbus to check now.)

Users can either poke it to say if there's updates available, or the PackageManager
could check for apps on dbus that have requested notifications of updates.

Once an app such as the cracklet or yum, or whatever, has been notified
of the update, it can call over dbus to the PM to get information on
the update, the changelog, etc. Then it can display its pretty little
dialog, and poke the PM over dbus to invoke yum/pup/whatever to do the
update.

Well a good place to start with code is something than the c-daemon can execute to update the cache and look for updates. anyone know much about sending dbus events from a python app?

-sv