Re: Firewall Config Tool

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 13:41 +0200, Sulyok Peti wrote:
> Hi All Firewall Interested,
>
> I have started writing a GUI for iptables, and I would like to know what
> you think about that. I have made two RPM-s for testing. These are
> available at
> http://sp.web.elte.hu/files/gipt-0.1-1.noarch.rpm
> http://sp.web.elte.hu/files/gipt-0.1-1.src.rpm
> There is also a screenshot at
> http://sp.web.elte.hu/gipt-screenshot.png

Why start a new project, when you could instead integrate Firestarter in
the distribution?

http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/

One thing that could be done is integrating Fieryfilter in firestarter.

Fieryfilter does the same kind of job Firestarter does, but with GUI
feedback, much akin to what Windows firewalls do:
http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/fieryfilter/

Another thing that could be integrated would be wondershaper:
http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
And the only config option for that tool, the network speed, could be
detected automatically with a page like:
http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0150.asp

But integrating Firestarter to have GUI feedback, and an "easy setup"
option (much like the current firewall in anaconda, or in MacOS X) would
be a much better option.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx>
Dumb and Dumber - Almost my favourite movie. -- Harrison Ford