Re: Fedora Magazine design!

Hi,

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:42:01 -0500
Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi Tatica,
>
> On 12/12/2012 03:41 PM, María Leandro wrote:
> > I'm actually developing wp themes, however, instead send several
> > mockups (which will take me a lot of time) we can check some ideas
> > from different themes on market (doesn't matter if they are paid or
> > not) and I can build it with everything we like (please n weekends
> > or nights).
>
> Can you implement this mockup as a theme? Do you have time to do this?
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/mockups/fedoramag/fedoramag-mockups-2.png
>
> The only change is that only the top banner should have the arrows on
> the sides; the smaller banner below should have no arrows on the
> sides.

Sorry for my late response, so if you wish just ignore it... But I have
to say I don't like this design usability-wise. I think it's pretty but
way too huge, too incompact. First the unnecessary huge top banner
(wide blue stripe, then wide white stripe, and then finally some
picture) and then *another* huge banner bellow. And that's the screen
end, usually. Why there are two huge banners? Why there is only one
article visible when the page loads in an average sized web browser
window? Why do I have to scroll to see more than that?

The footer is also way to huge, but that's much less of a problem since
it's at the bottom of the page. Login/register would be better in the
side panel or the blue stripe in header than at the very bottom of the
page, IMHO.

Personally, I like the header and side panel design from
http://artboard.cloud.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/141
but without the smaller banner (the one with foldable sleeves) and with
article presentation as in
http://artboard.cloud.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/143

The picture, than title and finally content in three columns is odd.
When I scroll down then first I see the picture, not the title.
That's very odd.

Maybe you are used to attention-grabbing design, I prefer content
oriented one. It's a magazine, not an ad. Maybe I'm the odd one here,
by I really like designs like this from usability POV (it's a Czech
daily "e-news-paper") [with the ads removed]
http://neviditelnypes.lidovky.cz/

Just my 2 cents,
Martin