ALERT: FDA, CDC, and Costco warn consumers to avoid Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese
- Subject: ALERT: FDA, CDC, and Costco warn consumers to avoid Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese
- From: "FoodSafety.gov" <subscriptions@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:32:48 -0500
Title: ALERT: FDA, CDC, and Costco warn consumers to avoid Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese
FDA, CDC, and Costco warn consumers to avoid Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese
Cheese may be related to outbreak of E.coli infections
Go to FoodSafety.gov for information on E. coli and updates on this alert.
- Bravo Farms Dutch Style Gouda cheese, (Costco item 40654) offered for sale and in cheese sampling events at Costco Wholesale Corporation (Costco) locations is preliminarily linked with an outbreak of E.coli O157:H7 infections.
- Consumers who have any of this cheese should not eat it. They should return the cheese to the place of purchase or dispose of it in a closed plastic bag and place in a sealed trash can to prevent people or animals, including wild animals, from eating it.
- Most people infected with E. coli O157:H7 develop diarrhea and abdominal cramps, but some illnesses may last longer and can be more severe. While most people recover within a week, some may develop a severe infection. Rarely, as symptoms of diarrhea improve, a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) can occur; this can happen at any age but is most common in children under 5 years old and in older adults. People with HUS should be hospitalized immediately, as
their kidneys may stop working and they may be at risk for other serious health problems.
- As of Thursday, November 4, 2010, 25 persons infected with the outbreak strain of E. coli O157:H7have been reported from five states since mid-October. The number of ill persons identified in each state with this strain is as follows: AZ (11), CA (1), CO (8), NM (3) and NV (2). There have been 9 reported hospitalizations, 1 possible case of hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), and no deaths.
Manage your Subscriptions:
GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services · 200 Independence Avenue SW · Washington DC 20201 · 1-877-696-6775
[Yosemite in Winter]
[Hot Springs Photos]
[Camping in Yosemite]