Dumping to a remote host by makedumpfile.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:21:02AM +0900, Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Last year, we discussed about "dumping to a remote host by makedumpfile".
> For this feature, I will add 2 options of STDOUT output to makedumpfile.
> If this feature is implemented, makedumpfile can output the dump data to
> the dump device directly also.
>

> The first option "-S":
>   This option outputs the dump data to STDOUT.
>   The dump data output by this option is different from normal dumpfile.
>   Because this option outputs STDOUT with the fileoffsets by each data
>   instead of lseek(). The analysis tool (ex. crash) can not read this
>   dump data, and the next option "-R" creates the readable dumpfile from
>   this dump data.
>
> The second option "-R":
>   This option creates the readable dumpfile from STDIN (the dump data)
>   output by the option "-S".
>

> The usage of these options is following.
>
> * On the panic system
>  1. Panic happens, and the system switches to the second kernel by kdump.
>  2. makedumpfile outputs the dump data to STDOUT, and the ssh command
>     transports the temporaly dumpfile to the remote host from STDIN.
>     The command line is like the following.
>
>     # makedumpfile -S -cd31 -x vmlinux /proc/vmcore | ssh user at remote "cat > dumpfile.tmp"
>
> * On the remote host
>  3. makedumpfile creates the readable dumpfile from the temporaly
>     dumpfile. The command line is like the following.
>
>     # makedumpfile -R dumpfile < dumpfile.tmp
>     #
>     # crash vmlinux dumpfile
>     [..]
>
> What do you think the above way.
> Your opinions/comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Ken'ichi Ohmichi

This all seems great to me, although at this point it needs to wait until
RHEL5.1 for us to integrate it.  Not that it changes much,  but I would recommend
that you make the initramfs command look like this
makedumpfile -S -cd31 -i /tmp/makedumpfile.config /proc/vmcore | ssh user at remote "cat | makedumpfile -R dumpfile"
That way no temporary file is ever seen by anyone, and the resultant file stored on the target is in an
appropriate format.

Neil

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.
 *nhorman at redhat.com
 *gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
 *http://pgp.mit.edu

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]