Check "crashkernel=" presence for kexec -p option

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:10:32AM +0530, Mohan Kumar M wrote:
> Haren Myneni wrote:
> >
> > We are already looking for crashkernel segment before loading the kdump
> > image - crashdump-<arch>.c. Ex: for ppc64, reading
> > linux,crashkernel-size property and for i386/x86_64, from /proc/iomem.
> >
> > Why do not we display the error message and exit from here?
> >
> The issue is when memory for crashkernel is not reserved, the error
> message is not displayed properly.
>
> For eg, in PPC64, the error message will be:
> /proc/device-tree/chosen/linux,crashkernel-base: No such file or directory
> get memory ranges:0
> Warning: append= option is not passed. Using the first kernel root partition
> /proc/device-tree/chosen/linux,crashkernel-base: No such file or directory
> Could not find a free area of memory of 74ac00 bytes...
> Base address: ffffffff is not page aligned
>
> i386 kexec tool also does not clearly report the error.
>
> The tool has to inform the user about what exactly happened and what
> should be done in order to successfully load the kdump kernel.

Its a fairly generic problem. It would be nice
to have a fairly generic solution.

I was not that excited about the original patch which reads from /proc
to find the command line. The programme already has the command line,
and at least in the invocations I am familiar with examining
what --append has been set to should be sufficient. If this
ends up having to be architecture / per-boot method specific,
I don't think that is a big deal.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]